SEE CHANGES FOR DRIVER'S ED BELOW:
The Brookings School District does not manage the Drivers Ed program class set-up, registration process, scheduling or questions about the course. Please email Joline Dunbar at Joline.Dunbar@k12.sd.us if you have any questions about any of this information.
Drivers Ed Information:
· The link for the Drivers Ed registration forms will be live on February 20th. You will be able to access them but they will not accept responses until then.
· Cost for the course and driving is $285. Make checks payable to Brookings Schools and bring them to the first day of class.
· Classes will be held at the CTE building - it is located in the south end of the BHS south parking lot.
· For the 7:00 a.m. sessions during the school year there will be a bus to take the MMS students to school at 8:00 a.m.
· Driving schedules will be signed up for and assigned part way through the class.
Other important information:
· Only one person should do the registration for each student. If multiple people in a family submit registrations for the same student I will use the first one submitted and delete the rest, so make sure you communicate.
· Check the class dates and times carefully before you register your child.
· You may register your student for multiple sessions, but they will be placed in the first one that they get into.
· 30 face-to-face classroom hours are required by the state in order to pass drivers’ education. It is set up so there are 3 hours of make-up time available after each session, for that session only. If a student goes past those 3 hours there is no way they can pass the class. This includes students who are consistently late for class, as if it happens repeatedly I will have to add up that time and they will have the opportunity to make it up at the end. (I have had a few students that consistently come in 5-15 minutes late and that can’t happen as it adds up fast.)
· Games, practices, and other events or activities are NOT excused, even if the coach/director makes them ‘mandatory’. Please check your schedules carefully before you sign up for a session.
· Students will not sign up for driving times until their classroom session is underway.
o 6 hours of driving time and 6 hours riding with a partner driver is required, so 6 days of driving.
Registration Links and Class Dates:
Session One required classroom dates: April 3, 4, 5, from 7 to 8 a.m., April 6th from 7-10:00 a.m., April 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, and May 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 from 7 to 8 a.m. (Make-up date is May 13th only - 7 to 10 a.m. if needed.) The test will be given on May 12th. If the student does not pass they will have a second opportunity. The second test will be on the make-up day at 7 a.m., May 28th, whether or not they have make-up time to do.
Session One Registration Link: Session One Link
Session Two required classroom dates: May 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 30, 31 from 7 to 8 a.m. and June 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 from 7 to 10:00 a.m. (Make-up date is May 9th only - 7 to 10 a.m. if needed.) The test will be given on May 8th. If the student does not pass they will have a second opportunity. The second test will be on the make-up day at 7 a.m., May 9th, whether or not they have made up time to do.
Session Two Registration Link: Session Two Link
Session Three required classroom dates: August 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 from 7 to 10:00 a.m. (Make-up date is August 19th only - 7 to 10 a.m. if needed.) The test will be given on August 18th. If the student does not pass they will have a second opportunity. The second test will be on the make-up day at 7 a.m., August 19th, whether or not they have make-up time to do.
Session Three Registration Link: Session Three Link